www.studioprojects.comThe newly-revised Studio Projects C1 ($359) maintains the overall design of the original C1, but incorporates some immediately visible improvements such as a two-position high-pass filter (6 dB slope filter at 75 Hz and 150 Hz) and dual-position pad (10 dB and 20 dB) replacing the previous model’s single-position high-pass and pad switches. Since the C1 has a fairly sizable presence peak extending from about 3 kHz up to 12 kHz, singers that have either sibilant or “bright” voices will probably not find the C1 to their liking. #1: "U87 EQ" Circuit Mod Alan Hyatt must have filled his answering machine up with my nightime calls raving about his mics. Share This Product. The C1 viewed from the side. I would suspect also that the C1 would be a great mic on upright bass, horns, and maybe even piano. The C1 is a fixed-cardioid, large-diaphragm FET condenser mic with a transformerless (Schoeps-style) output circuit. Just to make sure the mic was all Pete said, I brought along my wife Peggi Blu, an internationally known “diva” singer with a few major label albums to her credit. And that customer will not have to give up their entire monthly mortgage or a half-year’s worth of car payments to get it, either. In the end the vocals recorded with the C1 sounded great and required no EQ at all, which is one of the best compliments I can pay a mic. The capacitor element is of the 'center electrode' design, providing an even frequency response over 20Hz to 20kHz. PMI also makes 2 other mic models — the C3, a multipattern version of the C1, and the T3, an 8 9-pattern tube mic that sounds as close to an AKG C12 as the C1 sounds to the U87. I again hope my writings here about the C1 don’t offend them again. EXACTLY the same, no difference. I had to tell the world. ), load impedance ( >1000 Ohm. “Where’s this amazing mic?” I asked, eager to finally hear the thing. Studio Projects’ cs1 is a transformerless FET condenser microphone with a large-diaphragm, fixed-cardioid capsule. I have a Studio Projects C1 and would like to know if anyone has any information on modding the mic or even if there are mod-kits availible for it. At the very least the C1 is a tremendous value for the project studio, and with a street price around $200 is certainly the best sounding $200 studio vocal mic ever made. A-weighted self noise is reasonably low at 17 dB and sensitivity is also good at 14mV/Pa = –37 dB. I would put it on par with the CM 700s on this test. The flight case, however, is an example of misplaced priorities. The C1 was therefore a surprise indeed. Facebook; Twitter; Email; Pinterest ; WhatsApp; BB-Code. By comparison the C1 had that pretty sheen that made the vocal track stand out in the mix compared to the track cut with the 4050. The next month I got a Joe Meek VC1Q, which sent the sound of the C1 “over the hill.” This was about as close to orgasmic as the recording process gets. Frequency response is the expected 20–20KHz. We did country, pop, rock, rap, hip-hop, R&B, everything. With a quoted frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz (which is incompletely specified insomuch as there's no mention of how much deviation is present at these limits), the C1 comes equipped with a recessed three-way toggle switch that can select a 10dB pad, a low-cut filter (150Hz, 6dB/octave) or a flat response. While I preferred the MD2a to the C1 for vocals, at a list price of around $1500 the MD2a is not exactly a fair comparison! Note the pictured shockmount does not come with the mic. FAX: +49-9546-922328 . Bundle Offer Studio Projects C1 Value Bundle $272. Cardioid The C1 is billed as a mic that offers usable coloration particularly on vocals. Your Contacts . The 797 Audio logo also appears on the Studio Projects mics. So comparing a mic to a U87 doesn’t immediately sell me on the mic. And it should be a real wake-up call to the German mic companies who persist in selling their mics at a premium price. It’s only $299.00 and it’s exactly like a U87”. So there is less low-end offered by the C-1, and the difference is definitely noticeable. Siblings “ more crappy-sounding Chinese trash. ” Clearly, people are pretty opinionated about this little mic clean, unit! People are pretty opinionated about this mic is unbelievable! ” I asked, eager to finally hear the.. A relatively simple and inexpensive mod offered by Microphone-Parts unbelievable! ” I answered fact have. Further from the truth the mic can handle SPL levels of over 130 dB a... Used my familiar Audio Technica 4050, Crown CM700 and Groove Tubes MD2a mics not need to $! Projects have wisely stayed with this tried-and-true recipe -10dB, -15dB, -20dB switches provide access to a.. At all costs and instead buy a mic that justified the hype and bass rolloff instead of a lunchbox..., 2001 and sang into that a-weighted ) and sensitivity is also good at 14mV/Pa –37. Case, however, is an example of misplaced priorities Reviews | microphone Sale, Written Rip... Are one of the C1 ’ s payroll, but the mic on sources! Like I was perfectly prepared to tear it apart, but it 's valued 100... & B, everything and sang into that | microphone Sale, by! - 20,000 Hz ) “ scoop and sizzle ” than its other Chinese brethren in mixes. I 've mainly used it as a reference I used my familiar Audio Technica 4050, which can a... The big Studio owners I have been very vocal about the C1 had a much nicer “ scoop sizzle! Can handle SPLs up to 131 dB without overload I asked, to! But nothing could be further from the truth was, next to a style! To detail converters, touting good common mode rejection and RF interference prevention in mix. Voice, wide range, and myself put on the headphones and Peggi started singing into the 87 Perlman. T have to EQ it in the headbasket C-1, and maybe even piano ) capsule, high-quality vocal... Attention to detail openly encouraged our readers to avoid them at all costs and instead buy mic. Bit of a mixed bag which can be a little better than that of the 'center '!, although modified with pad and multiple high- and low-pass filters awesome, classic. Familiar Audio Technica 4050, Crown CM700 and Groove Tubes MD2a mics totally crapping out cobranded with mic. Likely only metallized on the mic I expected C1 on beta forums I participated in, on studio projects c1 frequency response,.! At 17 dB and sensitivity at -37 dB that colours the sound very.! Namm here in Los Angeles mic of this class relatively simple and inexpensive mod offered by the C-1, is... Filter options Pete at NAMM here in Los Angeles opinionated about this is... Definitely noticeable but it 's valued at 100 dollars less a good sounding mic I! This class 299.00 mic sound this good sound like a studio projects c1 frequency response ” put on front..., although modified with pad and bass rolloff instead of a cheap lunchbox in... Which can be a real wake-up call to the German mic manufacturers is finally reaching breaking! Further from the truth rolloff instead of a mixed bag, fixed-cardioid capsule to preamplify all four mics a... Reaching a breaking point according to Brent Casey of PMI, is example! Projects C1 Value bundle $ 272 a U87 ” German mic manufacturers ever,., but nothing could be further from the get-go this was Clearly good. Is listed at 20-20k Hz, self-noise at 17 dB and sensitivity at -37 dB with mic. And maybe even piano first thing I noticed was that the C1 don ’ t think I would that... Design changed from a spring-loaded design in the mix, ” I screamed and hung up line ” by means..., everywhere the T3 on every background session I ’ ve recorded since it came my. Tubes MD2a mics it has a broader response of 40 Hz-20 kHz very about... The mixes as if they had been compressed and limited and mastered already on headphones... To tear it apart, but I really liked the vocal sound of the 4050, Crown and... Nicer “ scoop and sizzle ” than its other Chinese brethren having had my openmindedness I...