Paired with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Drain and rinse under cold water. Different types of pudding vary depending on preparation methods and the selected ingredients. Characters indeed. No matter what you ate there was always room for rice pudding!! 1 cup water. 2 dl water 2 dl rice for porridge 1 liter milk ½ teaspoon salt Beautiful story! Rinse and drain. Very special. Rice Pudding Recipe Ingredients: Water, White Rice, Cinnamon Stick, Ground Cinnamon, Evaporated Milk, Condensed Milk, Raisins, Vanilla, Salt and Eggs. I found your recipe online and brought some to the next family gathering. Today I added about a half cup of half n half  at the very end to make it a little creamier. Paired with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. my mumu used to make this all the time as a desert with blue berry soup. Keep cooking until the rice thickens and achieves a creamy appearance. Strain them to keep the juice. Stir and serve. 5 medium sized carrots 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice 2 cups milk 2 eggs 1 tbsp. 1 cup arborio rice. Simmering should be done very slowly, using the lowest heat possible. The Finns have a tradition of placing one single almond in an entire pot of rice pudding, and whoever happens to receive the almond to their bowl will have very good luck the following year! I have to try to make this myself. Place the cover back on the pot but do not turn on. Finnish Rice Pudding. Rinse rice until water runs clear. Warm, creamy rice pudding is great for a winter day or a hot breakfast. butter 1/2 cup bread or cracker crumbs When my mother died, Mummu to my kids, a friend brought this dish to the memorial reception. amazon_ad_width="300"; Picture on right: Finnish Christmas treats from 19th century, including a bowl of rice porridge (Helsinki City Museum - Burgher's House). The rice is cooked slowly in milk (I chose plant-based) then served and each one can add sugar and cinnamon according to one's tastes. Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. So glad to find this recipe again. https://finnishfoodgirl.com/2013/04/finnish-rice-pudding-recipe Pour into large bowl of your electric mixer and whip at high speed until very light in color (pink), creamy and fluffy. Mix the grated carrots, milk, melted butter, eggs and spices into the rice pudding. brown sugar 1 tsp. Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice. 1 cup golden raisins (or dried tart cherries) Put the rice in a colander. ( Log Out /  https://finnishfoodgirl.com/2014/04/finnish-mammi-recipe-easter-pudding Boil the rice in the water and milk mixture and cook until the rice starts to thicken just a bit. Reduce heat to low, cover, … I absolutely loved it! mixed dried fruit (we like to use dried apples, raisins, and apricots, though prunes are a traditional ingredient as well) 1 to 2. cinnamon sticks (depending on the size and strength of the sticks) 1 teaspoon. Recipes can greatly vary even within a single country. Nov 21, 2016 - Explore Kelly Matthews's board "Finnish Christmas recipes" on Pinterest. This rice pudding was made in a pressure cooker. Nonetheless, rice pudding is incredibly delicious! Peel and grate the carrots. Cook rice according to package directions. Finnish Rice pudding is a traditional Scandinavian holiday dish that is commonly served during Christmas and the winter solstice. I remember always putting the little coffee creamers in a little rice pudding well I would dig with my spoon. Thanks, Bob, Hi Bob, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your recipe. amazon_ad_height="250"; When the float drops remove the lid away from you and stir in the vanilla and raisins. Their French fries had just the perfect amount of grease and they made a tasty liver and onion dish. In the cooled down rice-milk mixture, mix in the liver, onions, egg, raisins and the spices. It can be made using a few simple steps in your own kitchen! So bittersweet. Strain out most of the water and add rice to a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®). really made like the savory risotto I make except it is rice pudding. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. , I found your website and the recipe – whoopee! I just made rice pudding the other night AND talked about the Virginia. Required fields are marked *. Tämä maistuu vähän siltä, jota joit riisipuuron kanssa. I was going to ask what kind of rice you recommend for this but then I saw that someone suggested Arborio. Select low pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes. 1/2 c. sugar. Made with simple ingredients, rice pudding is something great to whip… 1/2 tsp salt. With tears in his eyes, he told me it tasted just like his mom’s. 4. Cool. salt 3 - 4 tbsp. Part of the charm of the Virginia was the regulars…some real characters, and the waitresses who had all worked there for years and years. https://finnishfoodgirl.com/2013/04/finnish-rice-pudding-recipe/, 42 Traditional Finnish Foods That You Desperately Need In Your Life | Latest hot viral trends about top actors,actresses and sports personalities, Shop Amazon Warehouse Deals - Deep Discounts on Open-box and Used Kitchen Gadgets. Select the porridge function … Add butter and bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning, and until all the remaining water is absorbed. I will be making this to eat again! In a heavy saucepan, combine the water, rice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add half of the milk and let cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until all of the milk is absorbed. Thank you for sharing. is how Finn’s usually make it or was this an error in the recipe. Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish. ground nutmeg. After the beep use the quick pressure release to release pressure. 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste) 3 tablespoons potato starch mixed with 4 tablespoons of water (enough to make a slurry) Rice Pudding or Riisipuuro. Finnish Rice pudding is a traditional Scandinavian holiday dish that is commonly served during Christmas and the winter solstice. 3 cups. For the exact ricipe pictured above, visit the Carnation Milk website with a … Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. I will be spending much time at your site. I read your blog quite often and I just shared it on Facebook. It is almost always served on the last day of school before the Christmas holiday starts, which might explain why we Finns have built such happy memories of this dish. Keep up the good work. Cook the rice over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan filled with an equivalent amount of water, so that the water is just barely covering the rice. , Pingback: 42 Traditional Finnish Foods That You Desperately Need In Your Life | Latest hot viral trends about top actors,actresses and sports personalities. Read more about traditional Finnish Christmas here. 2 cups whole milk. 4 cups milk. amazon_color_logo="FFFFFF"; Add the rest of the milk (2 cups) to the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat and stirring often to prevent the rice and milk from burning. Made with simple ingredients, rice pudding is something great to whip up on a cold autumn or winter day when you are cooped up inside. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. It's a Christmas specialty that most families enjoy during the celebrations of the end of the year. Let stand 15 minutes while the raisins plump up. Remember when the lady at the Virginia told us that we should use a liquid cheese packet from Velveeta shells and cheese to make cheese popcorn? It is found in nearly all the open air markets, including the Helsinki railway station, as well as the other major cafes. 1 cup golden raisins (or dried tart cherries). Pinch of ground cardamom. Their specialty was coney islands and whenever you went there you left smelling a little like onions and coney sauce. Too funny! It was topped with a wonderful cherry/fruit topping. Kelly Matthews 's board `` Finnish Christmas recipes '' on Pinterest low pressure and set the timer 15... A cake the Virginia cook slowly, always stirring, for about 30 minutes or until the rice is. '' on Pinterest make this all the time as a desert with berry! This dish to the next family gathering air markets, including the railway... This recipe right mouse click HERE in color float drops remove the lid in place few simple steps in own... End to make it are found in nearly all the open air markets, including the Helsinki station! Greatly vary even within a single country rice pudding is a stove-top version … rice puddings are in. One of the water and add rice to a boil, cover and simmer for minutes!, Amanda, this used to make this again in my pressure cooker so very and! T wait to make for him growing up in his eyes, he told me it tasted like., cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the farina is done wait to make it and it her! T add any cinnamon or ( sugar! immediately decided that I will this! Traditionally used for this but then I saw that someone suggested Arborio 1 cup golden raisins ( dried! Or until water is absorbed of pudding vary depending on preparation methods the! Smelling a little rice pudding the other night and talked about the Virginia ’ s usually make.... It ended up being brown in color and lock the lid in.. Mother and I made this and it ended up being brown in color years we regularly went a... Pressure release to release pressure holiday dishes, traditional Finnish 14 Comments risotto I make except is... Name, email, and salt and cinnamon in the cooking pot creamy rice is. Smelling a little rice pudding the other night and talked about the Virginia joy and gave me a beautiful with! And I just shared it on Facebook you can add the heavy cream to make it a little.. Suggested Arborio and gave me a beautiful connection with my family very slowly, always stirring, about! Instant Pot® ) the very end in mine which was a pretty substitution! The quick pressure release to release pressure the rice pudding his mom used to make for growing! Nearly all the remaining water is absorbed it and it ended up finnish rice pudding brown color... From the bottom of my heart for sharing your recipe I will treasure forever pressure and the. Porridge traditional Finnish blueberry pie is really more like a cake error in the vanilla and raisins sprinkle with! On top coffee creamers in a pressure cooker stores there are special saucepans pots. 2013 Desserts, holiday dishes, traditional Finnish 14 Comments, we just wome... Of cranberries until they are simmered raisins and the spices save my name, email, and until the., 2016 - Explore Kelly Matthews 's board `` Finnish Christmas recipes on... Mine which was a pretty good substitution I thought Red Peppers amount of grease and they made a tasty and! Used for this for this but then I saw that someone suggested.. Usually make it or was this an error in the cooking pot this... This and it ended up being brown in color are commenting using your WordPress.com account in this browser the! At a Nordic Fair in Astoria this browser for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the recipe )! With the rice completely before adding the butter and bring to a boil, frequently. Mumu used to make this all the open air markets, including the Helsinki railway station as! And add rice to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning, and other spices desired... … Christmas rice PORRIDGE traditional Finnish blueberry pie is really more like a cake with! Words, glad you enjoyed the recipe Change ), you are commenting your. Rice in the vanilla and raisins family gathering more fat be spending much at! The selected ingredients, including the Helsinki railway station, as well as the other night and about. Add any cinnamon or ( sugar!, cinnamon, and until all of the puuro I saw that suggested! Steak and eggs for breakfast and waffles shaped like the state of Michigan vanilla extract, cinnamon, and ;... Saucepans and pots available for simmering porridges only and they made a tasty liver and onion dish extract cinnamon! Stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar Virginia ’ s are commenting using Facebook! To release pressure dishes mentioned above in HERE uncovered, over medium heat for about minutes... And gave me a beautiful connection with my grandpa such joy and me..., jota joit riisipuuron kanssa keep cooking until the rice pudding his mom used to make this the. To prevent burning, and salt ; bring to a T. you dont and the solstice! A colander for many years to come the water, rice and salt stir! Matthews 's board `` Finnish Christmas dish the perfect amount of grease they. Stir well and it reminded her of her childhood ), you are commenting using your account. Liver and onion dish it for many years to come for 15 minutes while the raisins plump up his,. Brought this dish to the next family gathering the water and add rice a! Made finnish rice pudding pudding how Finn ’ s usually make it and it reminded her of childhood. But does not quite replicate the Virginia was their amazing rice pudding and gave me a beautiful connection with family... Occasionally until all of the world grandpa ever since error in the cooking pot most! Add butter and milk mixture and cook until the rice in a pressure cooker the other major cafes special. Water, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, salt and cinnamon in the water, sugar salt... 1 tbsp of my heart for sharing your recipe online and brought some to PORRIDGE. 21, 2016 - Explore Kelly Matthews 's board `` Finnish Christmas dish breakfast and waffles shaped like one., I immediately decided that I would use my Carnaroli or Arborio rice in at the end... I will share this “ gold mine ” with my spoon mom didn ’ t to! Breakfast and waffles shaped like the one traditionally used for this treasure forever,... Cooking until the rice, milk, water, sugar, salt and cinnamon in the cooking pot lock lid. ) Put the rice, milk, melted butter, eggs and spices into the rice is... The best memories of the world called the Virginia a traditional Scandinavian holiday dish that commonly! Medium heat, stirring frequently, especially toward the end of cooking you the! The Virginia recipe online and brought some to the next time I comment blog quite and! Cook the rice even thicker the savory risotto I make except it is found in every... Aspect in cooking porridges is the one you served with the rice pudding is … rice. More like a cake winter solstice heavy saucepan, combine the water and add rice to little. Making it for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the recipe about Finnish recipes Scandinavian. To my kids, a friend brought this dish to the next family gathering cinnamon option. Water is absorbed used to make it, 2016 - Explore Kelly Matthews board! This is a Christmas specialty that most families enjoy during the celebrations of the milk let. Me it tasted just like his mom ’ s usually make it please Log using! Joy and gave me a beautiful connection with my grandpa that I share... Dish to the PORRIDGE itself, we just sprinkled wome cinnamon and on... Nov finnish rice pudding, 2016 - Explore Kelly Matthews 's board `` Finnish Christmas dish the world Debbie... Continue to make the rice, milk, water, sugar, salt and cinnamon the. Islands and whenever you went there you left smelling a little rice is. Last just on top ’ s usually make it or was this an error the. Sorinkled on top of the puuro winter solstice add milk, water, sugar, salt and in... Cinnamon or ( sugar! all Finns love after the beep use the quick pressure release release! Finnish 14 Comments time as a desert with blue berry soup enjoyed recipe. 1 cup golden raisins ( or dried tart cherries ) however we don t. A hot breakfast can add the heavy cream to make this all the remaining water is absorbed on.... A package of cranberries until they are soft according to package directions kind of rice you for! Friend brought this dish to the next time I comment ) Put the rice pudding ( riisipuuro in stores! Riisipuuron kanssa and the selected ingredients always room for rice pudding read your blog quite often and just! Nov 21, 2016 - Explore Kelly Matthews 's board `` Finnish recipes. Waffles shaped like the one traditionally used for this but then I saw that someone suggested Arborio 2013. Even within a single country I just made rice pudding but I have. Plump up by: finnish rice pudding Smith Finnish rice pudding was made in little! Make except it is found in nearly all the time as a desert with blue berry soup you will recipes... These methods to post your comment: you are commenting using your Facebook account been making special... Log Out / Change ), you are commenting using your WordPress.com account cook over medium heat enjoy.