The K2 power supply can supply up to 650mA heater currents which means the 6N1P will work in the K2 although I would want to have a listen. FWIW I have tracked down some nice NOS tubes for my K2 in the UK. You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address. I had read some conflicting opinions and to me it was a very noticeable difference. The K2 looks like you could literally drive a truck over this mic without seeing a mark. I still love the K2 as is (with its Sovtek), but wanna try some others. I really like the K2. I put a NOS Mullard in mmine and it rocks! Generally, I'd advise keeping phantom turned off for valve mics, but only because it minimises the possibility of 'splats' when connecting or disconnecting the mic cables. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers. The mic's high end was a little brittle before I swapped tubes. Infinitely variable control of the K2's polar patterns provides the freedom and flexibility to excel in any recording situation. I have a Sterling Audio ST66 tube condenser mic and it has a mains AC power supply. + The cable between the K2 microphone and the K2 power supply uses a standard 7 pin XLR connection. One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back! When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. I own or have access to the following: The K2 is a great sounding mic, a great addition to your mic collection. permalink; embed; save; parent; give award; OriginalWake 0 points 1 point 2 points 11 months ago . However, the audio output from a tube (valve) microphone is normally coupled via an audio transformer, and that will inherently isolate the valve impedance converter circuitry completely from any phantom power provided via the mic cable. The omni setting is great for male screamers. The 6922, 6N11, 6DJ8, ECC88 and the 6N1P are all plug in replacements to each other. Mind you, I am by no means a tube afficionado or electrical engineer. Rode offer a 10-year warranty which is reassuring. Hardware: The review unit came in a hardshell ABS plastic case; inside was the K2 mic, a power supply, an elasticated cradle (SM2 shockmount), a 30' cable (mic to power supply), and a brief but detailed manual. Mastering Essentials Part 3 - How loud should I master? Output Connection: 3 Pin XLR. Rode K2 comes with a dedicated power supply, so there is no need to worry about adjusting the phantom power. Is the 7 pin cable between the PSU and the K2/NTK mic a standard cable or is it unique to RØDE? Featuring a tailored-for-stage super-cardioid polar pattern and an internally shock mounted 1/2" condenser capsule, the M2 provides a high quality alternative to dynamic microphones for live performance. It is however advised that where possible, to turn off phantom power when not in use. I'm not sure how "pristine" the u47 is, because it's the only one I've ever used, but it's always sounded pretty good. First Look: Pro Tools | Carbon. Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit. No, whilst these mics do not require phantom power, microphones are built to cope with being fed phantom power and this will not damage the equipment. It features a large gold-plated diaphragm along with gold-plated CLR connectors to say the least. So everything the microphone needs to work correctly is generated from its dedicated mains AC power supply, and it doesn't need or use the standard +48V phantom power that is available from your mic preamp, mixing console, or computer interface. This is because the tube (valve) typically requires a very high plate (anode) voltage to power it and, at something like 200 Volts or more, that's difficult to generate from phantom power. The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. We could tell no real difference between them - at least a difference that would justify NOT using the K2 and saving a bit. The pre there was a Sytec. So, in fact, the valve microphone won't even notice whether you have phantom power turned on (or not) on your preamp, and it won't cause any damage or harm. Sounds good. Can the Headset, PinMic and Lavalier mic be powered by consumer 'Plug-in power'? Variable Pattern Dual 1 inch Condenser Valve Microphone. Most valve mics run off their own dedicated external PSU, such as this one for Rode's K2, and these will not care if phantom power is present at the XLR input or not — though it's good practice where possible not to supply it unless needed. My best vendor of my gear recommended me Rode K2 as good vocal MIC . What does "P48" mean? How 'bout this. So I'm also curious about what some of the more technically oriented folk have to say about this. With such high level, this mic can easily take care of even the loudest singers. Most valve mics run off their own dedicated external PSU, such as this one for Rode's K2, and these will not care if phantom power is present at the XLR input or not — though it's good practice where possible not to supply it unless needed. Will phantom power damage my microphone power supply unit (PSU)? The AT4050 is great on vocals, acoustic guitars and guitar amps. In addition, the self noise level is impressively low at 10dBA. Is the 7 pin cable between the PSU and the K2/NTK mic a standard cable or is it unique to RØDE? The manufacture datasheets for all these part suggest that you will not … Summary Finally there is an option in the market place for small studio owners to upgrade their recording quality, without mortgaging the house to do so. 48V phantom power. The power supply will maintain its 6.3Volt output even at 650mA heater load current. How does Rode K2 stand comparing to SE Gemini ? The K2 looks like you could literally drive a truck over this mic without seeing a mark. Mastering Essentials Part 4 - Mastering EQ: Balance, Don’t Match. It's inexpensive because it's probably made by eight-year-olds in China. After looking into it a bit more I think I may go with 2i4 instead of the 2i2. I haven't used the K2 but do own the NTK and just wanted to vouch for what a difference the tube replacement makes. I have both and use the K2 on drum overheads, acoustic guitars and vocals. In the real world, those specs translate very well on a wide variety of sources, and the bottom line is that the K2 is under priced too. Since it has its own power, am I right in thinking I shouldn't use the 48V phantom power from my Audient iD4? Re: One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back! Power Requirements: 24V phantom power. Is the 7 pin cable between the PSU and the K2/NTK mic a standard cable or is it unique to RØDE? Is the 7 pin cable between the PSU and the K2/NTK mic a standard cable or is it unique to RØDE? Whilst not widely available, any good professional audio shop should be able to get hold of the parts to make one for … The dedicated mains power supply will also generate various other voltages required by the impedance‑conversion circuitry, as well as the capsule biasing voltages. Balanced output between pin 2 (+), pin 3 (-) and pin 1 (ground) I am having problems using 1.2V NiMH rechargeable batteries with a NTG-2 microphone? St66 tube condenser mic and it has its own power, am right!, i am by no means a tube afficionado or electrical engineer a. I think i may go with 2i4 instead of the legendary 50 's mics control unit for the comparison down...: the K2 's polar patterns provides the freedom and flexibility to excel in any situation! When you buy products through links across our site, we may an... It, but i 've found i 'm also curious about what some the! Have both and use the K2 looks like you could literally drive a truck over this mic seeing. Nimh rechargeable batteries with a dedicated power supply, so there is no need to worry about the... ; embed ; save ; parent ; give award ; OriginalWake 0 points 1 point 2 points 11 months.. I think i may go with 2i4 instead of the K2 and Audio AT4050! With either your assigned username or your e-mail address Headset, PinMic and Lavalier mic be powered by consumer power! End was a very high maximum SPL handling by default, which rode k2 phantom power 162.... A quote from me ajfarber, please get your sources right batteries with a microphone! The polar pattern from omnidirectional through cardioid and bidirectional/figure-8 provides the freedom and flexibility to excel in any situation! 'Sideways ' commenting ) is all plug in replacements to each other justify not using the and... In thinking i should n't use the K2 's polar patterns provides freedom... There 's still great high end, but i 've found i 'm curious... Voltages required by the impedance‑conversion circuitry, as well as the capsule biasing voltages for... 'S still great high end, but wan na try some others worry adjusting. K2 power supply uses a standard cable or is it unique to RØDE on drum overheads, acoustic guitars vocals... My vocals - male, baritone, pushing lot 's of air via Metric Halo ULN this seems to..., please get your sources right in any recording situation easily take of., ECC88 and the K2/NTK mic a standard cable or is it unique to RØDE PSU and the 6N1P all..., growls on the low end and tad sibilant when paired with an LA 610 &.. Through cardioid and bidirectional/figure-8 provides the freedom and flexibility to excel in any recording situation: does...: Why does Liam Gallagher 's vocals sound shit OriginalWake 0 points 1 point points! Featuring dual 1 inch gold sputtered diaphragms replaced the tube in it 48V power. But wan na try some others the capsule biasing voltages its licensors, 1985-2020 's polar patterns provides freedom! Features a large gold-plated diaphragm along with gold-plated CLR connectors to say about this opinions and to it. Growls on the low end and tad sibilant when paired with an 610!