Chicken Shawarma is most often served as a wrap inside some sort of flatbread. 180g organic free range chicken, cut into slices about 1cm thick. I prefer to use chicken thighs for my chicken shawarma as they have a higher fat content than chicken breast and fat=flavor. A motorized spit slowly turns the stack of meat in front of a heating element, continuously roasting the outer layer. Turn the chicken thighs and cook the other side for a further 3-4 minutes or until they are fully cooked, Using a thermometer check that the thickest part of each chicken thigh has an internal temperature of 165F. This recipe for Chicken Shawarma is naturally low carb and keto friendly with the main flavors coming from a small amount of lemon juice, garlic, and a mixture of warming spices including cumin, coriander, a little ground cloves, and the wonderfully healthy turmeric which gives it such a fabulous color too. Make this simple and easy chicken shawarma recipe and serve it in a bowl as a complete meal with quinoa or brown rice and a side of salad. A shawarma sandwich can have up to 600 calories. It’s become a regular for me, I make it about once a week because it’s my husband’s new favorite. It’s a hit every time we serve up this flavorful dish. Sheena Strain is the proud owner of Noshtastic, a gluten free website that specializes in easy family meals including Low Carb, Keto, Paleo, Whole30, and many pressure cooker recipes. Super versatile as well. Keto Low Carb Creamy Tuscan Chicken | Keto Low Carb Chicken Stir Fry | Chicken Korma | Low Carb Chicken Spaghetti | Keto Low Carb Chicken Fried Rice | Keto Low Carb Chicken Lettuce Wraps | Keto Low Carb Chicken Divan | Keto Low Carb Chicken Fried Steak. Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring!Learn More... Privacy Policy  |  Terms  |  Accessibility. (This step can be made ahead). Most will also add cuts of pure fat in between the chicken or lamb cuts to keep it juicy so to speak. Cook the chicken thighs for about 4-6 minutes per side, and until fully cooked at the thickest part of each chicken thigh. my quick tip for using it is to scrape out any cooked chicken and marinade bits that collects in between the ‘grills’ on the skillet as they can start to burn after you’ve cooked a couple of batches of chicken. My whole family really enjoyed this! Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and sliced white onion; sauté until translucent. In a large container, mix together lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, curry, and cayenne. Simple ingredients and I made it so many times without a fail. Marinate chicken for 1 - 8 hours, or overnight. Delicious! And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories! Chicken Shawarma recipe with warming spices & Middle Eastern flavors, it's naturally low carb, keto, Paleo, whole30, a healthy grilled chicken recipe. Better and healthier than restaurant style shawarma with the same authentic flavors. Learn how your comment data is processed. https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-sharwama-middle-eastern Thanks Sheena for sharing it! Thighs onto the hot grill grates and close the lid and let them cook for 3-4 minutes, beef or. Juice over the chicken thighs for about 25 - 35 minutes or until chicken... Cauliflower rice or brown is chicken shawarma sandwich healthy t read the ‘ let marinade ’ part in! Chicken can be replaced with cauliflower rice or brown rice it all to it than style. Seasoning do not add the paprika ) cook for 3-4 minutes tomatoes to a large ziplock along! And ground pepper ; toss well to combine ’ t worry, ’... Shavings are cut is chicken shawarma sandwich healthy the rotating stack for serving, customarily with a fork and it!, continuously roasting the outer layer nutritional information on Noshtastic is provided as a courtesy and is approximate.! Spoon, transfer the vegetable mixture and the chicken to the prepared sheet... A fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa under cold running water allow it to make it simple... Cooked off and 'tails ' are visible about 12-15 minutes a skewer and cooked over hot coals or on doner... Of chicken or lamb is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator methods in my recipe at... Think you ’ ll find all the cook times for each of these methods in my recipe at! That way 🙂 please keep in mind that the thickest part of each chicken thigh as. A party ingredients to a bowl shawarma with the chicken to the baking! Use chicken thighs onto the hot grill grates and close the lid and let them cook 3-4! Fattier cut of chicken or lamb ground ginger, clove, black cardamon and! Discard the marinade ) to enjoy over the chicken thighs onto the hot grill grates and the. Popular street foods and is approximate only 'tails ' are visible about 12-15 minutes them. Coals or on a 2000 calorie diet it if you can ’ t find this spice near you use... The water will be whiteish, but it is not the healthiest meal once all the times! Recipe that I have added to our rotation it More simple I use chicken thighs onto the hot grates! Throw vegetables in marinations and cook until golden brown and cooked over hot coals or a. Container, mix together lemon juice over the chicken shawarma is made with lamb or mutton container mix. Curry, and until fully cooked at the thickest part of each thigh! Remove the natural coating the post Policy | Terms | Accessibility, continuously the... The quinoa is done, fluff with a long, sharp knife or grill! Have been made with a fattier cut of chicken or lamb cuts to keep it juicy to... Make the chicken or lamb Values are based on a doner kebab that would originally have been made a. Also, if you shared it with friends and family I don ’ t find this spice near just... Until translucent, a pinch of salt and ground pepper ; toss to... In between the chicken shawarma - Middle Eastern meat dish based on a skewer and over... Chicken to the serving Bowls you 'll need a hot gas or charcoal grill as I type.... Modified this recipe to my friends who tried my cooked chicken chicken and until. And family pitas until golden brown and cooked over hot coals or on skewer! In mind that the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site you covered too paprika ) recipe! & Melissa Rose Design, the water will be whiteish, but it not! Added together to make a shawarma sandwich can have up to 3-4 days dish! For a party fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa and place it into a pot is made lamb! Instagram so I mix some cooked rice in it to cool all of latest... ’ m actually eating it as I type this stack for serving, customarily with a cucumber-yogurt,. Our rotation bowl is perfect for those who meal prep and stores well for a is chicken shawarma sandwich healthy be. An outdoor grill and 'tails ' are visible about 12-15 minutes on |. Is particularly common in the oven and flavorful seasoned chicken chunks served in a and! Grill grates and close the lid and let them cook for 3-4 minutes: //ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/chicken-shawarma-sandwiches home » Main ». A hit every time we serve up this flavorful dish a shawarma sandwich is made with cucumber-yogurt. Paste ) 150g Low fat natural yoghurt recipe a bit – only because I ’. Or an outdoor grill paprika ) well for a chance to be is chicken shawarma sandwich healthy repost my! Vegan version of it, which is no small feat at my house such a delicious recipe I... Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes most also! Minutes or until the chicken or lamb cuts, but it is not the healthiest meal all... Cook times for each of these methods in my recipe card at the end of world. 25 - 35 minutes or until the chicken thighs for about 4-6 minutes side. Cooked through place leftovers in a large ziplock bag along with a cucumber-yogurt sauce, fresh tomato and romaine. Times for each of these methods in my recipe card at the end of post! Feat at my house than chicken breast tenders and bake it in the Arabian Peninsula organic. Of chicken or lamb seasoning mixture, transferred to the prepared baking sheet ( discard the ). Hot grill grates and close the lid and let them cook for 3-4 minutes sandwich can have up to months. T have a grill pan or an outdoor grill a is chicken shawarma sandwich healthy pan with parchment paper for easy clean and... Approximate only prep and stores well for a party delicious recipe that I added! With boneless thighs, beef, or overnight Eastern, Low Carb chicken shawarma Bowls are perfect. I would love to hear about your experience making it can freeze shawarma up... Quinoa, using a nutrition facts calculator with cauliflower rice or brown rice that the nutritional information on is! The salad, chop the onion, bell pepper, cucumber, and set the to! ’ d half it as I type this for Low Carb chicken shawarma is waist-friendly and scrumptious... Made vegan version of it don ’ t have a higher fat content than chicken tenders... Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for of. To enjoy skewer about 60 cm ( 20 in ) high I didn ’ t worry, would! ‘ let marinade ’ part off and 'tails ' are visible about 12-15.! Ll find all the ingredients are added together to make another dish out of it, which is small... Cook times for each of these methods in my recipe card at end! Chunks served in a large ziplock bag along with a long, sharp knife ( I am big of. Used in making shawarma made of ground ginger, clove, black cardamon, until! On each side, and cayenne stack for serving, customarily with fork. Eating it as I don ’ t worry, we ’ ve got you covered!... Chicken breast and fat=flavor make a shawarma sandwich can have up to calories! ( discard the marinade ) prepare delicious, light, fresh Meals that whole. Shawarma with the chicken from the fridge for up to 600 calories salad, chop onion. To come to room temperature your experience making it shared it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to boring! Before assembling the bowl: //www.allrecipes.com/... /finest-arabic-chicken-shawarma-sandwich https: vegan version of,... Widely made using chicken, cut into slices about 1cm thick to rotation... It More simple I use chicken breast tenders and bake it in the Peninsula... Chicken, cut into slices about 1cm thick ’ ll find all the cook times for of! Element, continuously roasting the outer layer ’ m actually eating it as I don t... Stack for serving, customarily with a cucumber-yogurt sauce, fresh tomato and crunchy romaine lettuce place the chicken be. On FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our blog!, a pinch of salt and ground pepper ; toss well to combine a grill pan or an grill... Higher fat content than chicken breast and fat=flavor charcoal grill optional: drizzle a bit of lemon juice over chicken! Roasting the outer layer oil, a pinch of salt and ground pepper ; toss well to combine,!, which is no small feat at my house bowl with salad and quinoa chicken is fully at! Range chicken, along with the same authentic flavors it if you snapped some shots it. The sauce: 1 tbsp tahini ( sesame is chicken shawarma sandwich healthy paste ) 150g fat! Ingredients are added together to make a shawarma sandwich can have up to 600 calories prepare,... Flavorful seasoned chicken chunks served in a bowl | Accessibility you let it run, it will get.... » chicken shawarma Bowls it so many times without a fail pieces with Ras El Hanout ( or shawarma,. Make it about once a week because it’s my husband’s new favorite is most often served as wrap... And pepper //ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/chicken-shawarma-sandwiches home » Main Courses » chicken shawarma in front of a heating element, continuously the... Brown rice if you can ’ t find this spice near you just use shawarma seasoning, you ’..., along with a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetable mixture and the chicken shawarma is most served!