March 7, 2014 at 1:48 am Reply. Making chord progressions more interesting is a good idea, but as you work out a progression, try to partner it right away with an interesting melodic shape. Let’s explore a Jazzy chord progression with the Bb13 chord. Here at Reverb Machine, I usually cover sound design, but for this article, I'd like to deviate slightly and cover another side of music-making: composition. Chords and chord progressions are a huge constituent of your compositions: they usually come at a pace that infers a meter and tempo; their harmonic makeup usually dictates what notes will be featured in the melodies, and so, in a sense, they encompass all three musical elements in one. Even with the best sounding patches, and the tightest production, boring compositions will still sound boring. As an aspiring songwriter, familiarizing yourself with these progressions should prove invaluable to you. This is the chord diagram: I'll start out by discussing chord progressions and how to make your chord arrangements sound more interesting. Cheers!-Gary. name. Now let’s look at some common pop chord progressions and examples of well known songs in which they appear. Four-chord progressions. Just like the Em9 chord, the Bb13 will also have the 7th. People hum melodies, they don’t hum chord progressions. For the Bb13 the notes are Bb D F Ab G (Root, major 3rd, perfect 4th, minor 7th, and major 13th). The progression is also a bit more interesting if the Dm7 is switched to a D7 as this is out of the key of C and provides contrast and a dominant chord to lead to … The 13th chords are extended chords played with root, 3, 5, 7, and 13.