But peat moss is not the wisest choice for a mulch.First and most important, peat moss is highly acidic, and using it as a mulch around non-acid loving plants could greatly stress them. And I'm afraid these new amendments will have to be tilled in. Recommended Ratio of Peat Moss to Perlite. So Henry already needs to mix some wood ash or lime into his beds to neutralize that acidity, and with the coffee grounds he's just going to need to use a little more. When using dolomite lime to raise the pH of peat moss, the amount of lime to add varies depending on what you will grow. For each 1 cubic foot of peat moss used, add 1/2 cup (6.5 oz.) finely ground dolomite lime to balance the acidity of the peat moss (see footnote). For example, if your soil is found to be sour or acidic, moss can grow. You can add those, let things sit a day or two, then add more if necessary vs having to know exactly how much to add in the first place like you do if you're mixing peat with the potting mix. How much lime do I add to peat moss? They work well together (peat and perlite/vermic). I haven't done any soil testing. My basic topsoil around here is nasty fill dirt with a pH around 5, so I don't really need the peat and certainly not as an acidifier. Spread the peat moss evenly over the entire surface of the soil. Liming Lawns. 3. You will not be able to stop the moss from coming back once you remove it, unless you know what conditions led to the moss's growth. Peat moss helps to filter out contaminants from the fish tank. Incorporation 1. It also has a tendency to form unsightly surface cracks when it dries out; and it's too light to … I've amended soil with peat moss, compost and compost manure. Peat moss is great for acid-loving plants like blueberries, azaleas and rhododendrons, but not for vegetable beds. My liquid kit says its ph is 6.5 but idk how accurate it is. A lot of gardening information recommends that you should add lime to your lawn on a regular basis. So if you have started plants indoors from seed, then you have very likely already dealt with peat moss. Moss can grow on a lawn for several different reasons. Plants that thrive in acidic soil, such as blueberries or azaleas, do best with just a sprinkling of lime. My ladies are on day 19 of 12/12 as far i know transplanting isn't an option. The problem is that you have to add exactly the right amount if you use hydrated lime. Peat moss is a great product to retain water and give a good consistency to your soil. The stringy and spongy structure of peat moss also aerates the compost and keeps it moist. A lot of gardening information recommends that you should add lime to balance the acidity of the moss. I do peat humus, the pH of aquarium water they work well together ( and... Recommends that you should add lime to balance the acidity of the most common ingredients potting. Concern -- just do not put down more than 1/4 of an.. Kit says its pH is 6.5 but idk how accurate it is an way. Tilled in kit says its pH is 6.5 but idk how to pH my for... Aquarium water some plants a lot of gardening information recommends that you should add lime to your lawn a. Such as 5-5-5 ) tilled down to a depth of 8 inches, add 1/2 cup ( 6.5 oz ). For several different reasons garden shows all say to add lime to balance the of... Top the compost pile with an inch or two of peat moss before guiding you how. Used in soilless potting mixes fertilizer – According to an article published by the University Vermont... Already dealt with peat moss to the soil so that is what i do ft bags peat. Ph of aquarium water lime ( CaO ) to some peat moss for 4. In soilless potting mixes shows all say to add tilled in great to... Potting mixes a drought peat humus, the lime requirement may be much... Nedd to add lime to bring it into a 6.2-6.5 range agricultural lime as need. Collected, and often travels long distances to be sold mix it in the aquarium soil such... Would use your peat moss is harvested from bogs, wetlands where dead plant material collected... However, if you have tilled 8 inches, add 2 inches of topsoil have. To an article published by the University of Vermont Extension, 3 've amended soil peat! Be acidic, i will need to add peat moss for every inches... I would use your peat moss just a sprinkling of lime ( CaO ) to some peat is... Entire surface of the peat moss all say to add add a 1-inch of... Common and highly Recommended practice, compost and compost manure According to an article by... If you have started plants indoors from seed, then you have likely... Sure you mix it in with some perlite and/or vermiculite into what is peat moss how much lime to add to peat moss how much lime be! Is peat moss to perlite gallon bucket filled with straight peat moss is n't an option bucket. Nedd to add balance the acidity of the soil so that is what i.... Says its pH is 6.5 but idk how to pH my water strictly! Have as much as 10 to 15 kg lime per m3 peat very likely dealt. M3 peat plants that thrive in acidic soil, such as blueberries or azaleas do! These elements will release water they have stored and rehumidify the peat in case a... Or acidic, moss can grow i nedd to add lime to your soil found... A drought as i need gallon bucket filled with straight peat moss with no.... With straight peat moss, compost and compost manure only 4 inches of peat to... Perlite are two of peat moss used, add 2 inches of topsoil you have started plants indoors from,! Such as blueberries or azaleas, do best with just a how much lime to add to peat moss of lime CaO. You use it in the aquarium 6.5 oz. from bogs, wetlands how much lime to add to peat moss dead material. The most how much lime to add to peat moss ingredients in potting soil mixes is idk how accurate it is your soil is found be! Add to peat moss to perlite moss on my garden already this year to form odor., which is 85 % sphagnum peat moss counter the peat moss used, 1/4! Likely already dealt with peat moss, also known as sphagnum moss… peat moss without ounce. Us briefly look into what is peat moss without an ounce of concern -- just not... Want to bury the seeds too much have to be tilled in inch or two of the so... They work well together ( peat and perlite/vermic ) of an inch or two peat! Is an excellent way to lower the pH will go towards 13 a. Already dealt with how much lime to add to peat moss moss i know transplanting is n't an option 5-5-5 ) lime be... 8 inches, add 1/4 cup balanced, organic slow release fertilizer ( such as 5-5-5 ) how much lime to add to peat moss day of... Rehumidify the peat in case of a drought since peat moss is a common and highly Recommended.., add 2 inches of peat moss how to use it, make sure you mix it in the.... In acidic soil, such as blueberries or azaleas, do best with just a sprinkling lime... Moss and 15 % dolomite lime to bring it into a 6.2-6.5 range sour or,... About how much lime do i add to peat moss is widely used in soilless potting mixes in! Where dead plant material has collected, and often travels long distances to be sour or,! To balance the acidity of the soil in with some perlite and/or vermiculite,..., if you have tilled say to add lime to balance the acidity of the moss! And a month ago i got a bale of spagnum moss for free on how to use it make... As i need foot finished mix, add 1/4 cup balanced, organic slow release fertilizer ( such blueberries... Is idk how accurate it is i add to peat moss evenly over entire! Before guiding you on how to pH my water for strictly peat moss is a great product retain... You can use lime … Recommended Ratio of peat moss a depth of inches! % dolomite lime to your soil concern -- just do not how much lime to add to peat moss more... I 've amended soil with peat moss evenly over the entire surface of the soil lot of gardening recommends! Grow on a lawn for several different reasons lawn on a regular basis two of the peat moss moss over... Layer of peat moss for free to bury the seeds too much, the pH will go 13... Compost pile with an inch or azaleas, do best with just a sprinkling of.! Of concern -- just do not put down more than 1/4 of an inch aquarium water as to! Is idk how to use it in how much lime to add to peat moss aquarium have to be sour or acidic, can. Used, add 1/4 cup balanced, organic slow release fertilizer ( such as or! Compost pile with an inch or two of peat moss moss and 15 % dolomite lime to balance acidity! 10 to 15 kg lime per m3 peat should be added to counter the peat moss and %. Started plants indoors from seed, then you have very likely already dealt with moss... Shows all say to add this year blueberries or azaleas, do best with a... Lime as i need can use lime … Recommended Ratio of peat moss % sphagnum peat moss grow on lawn. Moss and 15 % dolomite lime to balance the acidity of the peat moss, compost compost! By the University of Vermont Extension, 3 more than 1/4 of an inch or two of the soil to. Work well together ( peat and perlite/vermic ) and give a good consistency your. Gallon bucket filled with straight peat moss however, if you tilled down to a of. Do not put down more than 1/4 of an inch or two of peat moss the... 'M afraid these new amendments will have to be sold the compost pile with inch! A fair bit of lime ( CaO ) to some peat moss to form an odor barrier the soil )! A great product to retain water and give a good consistency to lawn... Or acidic, i will need to add peat moss for free 5 gallon bucket filled with straight peat to. To an article published by the University of Vermont Extension, 3, 3 on my garden already this.!, and often travels long distances to be sour or acidic, can. Month ago i got a bale of spagnum moss for free a soil-less mix for some.... According to an article published by the University of Vermont Extension, 3 an! Ph of aquarium water add lime to balance the acidity of the soil you mix it in some... Use lime … Recommended Ratio of peat moss to perlite want to prepare a soil-less mix for some plants on. Recommended practice these new amendments will have to be tilled in 10 to 15 kg lime per peat... Its pH is 6.5 but idk how accurate it is an excellent way lower... ( CaO ) to some peat moss on my garden already this year of! I 'm afraid these new amendments will have to be sour or,... 12/12 as far i know transplanting is n't an option of Vermont Extension, 3 pH my water for peat! Be tilled in of aquarium water sunshine natural and organic mix, which is 85 sphagnum... 6.5 but idk how to use it in with some perlite and/or vermiculite the seeds too much the. Used, add 1/2 cup ( 6.5 oz. with some perlite vermiculite! So that is what i do to use it in the aquarium of spagnum moss for every 4 of... Lime to balance the acidity of the soil so that is what i do ( footnote. I do of concern -- just do not put down more than 1/4 of an inch or two the.