In the past, I always made it with vermouth… For dark rum, mix molasses and juice; then, add a bit of … I don t drink due to medical reasons. Dry vermouth, which can be substituted for white wine in equal amounts in recipes, is a convenient alternative. Rum - Replace two tablespoons of rum with one-half to one teaspoon of rum extract (alcoholic), or mix white grape juice, pineapple juice, apple juice, apple cider or water with a small amount of almond extract. In the case of vermouth, whether dry or sweet, it’s a fortified wine, so you need to replace it with another fortified wine. For savoury cooking you should go for a dry yet aromatic vermouth of good quality. I have a roasted chicken recipe that calls for dry sherry, I've made it many, many times. It calls for 1 tablespoon of vermouth. But I'm at my elderly dad's house in Utah, where people are stupid and there's 5000 cases a day, so I absolutely do not want to go out in public. Perhaps a somewhat surprising choice, yet nevertheless vermouth is a good Madeira wine substitute. You may find vermouth called for in a recipe in which case you may want to use one of the suggested substitutes below. 2 heaping teaspoons dried wormwood* (may omit or substitute … Substitute dry vermouth for dry sherry? I do not want to go to the liquor store and get a bottle of vermouth that I will probably have no other use for. You will not get the same flavor if you substitute dry sherry for vermouth. Substitute For Sweet Vermouth: This could for example be the French vermouth Noilly Prat, or a vermouth from the Italian producer Martini. It is a scampi recipe that I revised so it just makes 1 serving. Vermouth can be either a white or red wine that is flavored with herbs. Like Marsala and sherry, vermouth is wine that’s been fortified with a high-proof alcohol (often brandy), which raises its alcohol content and allows to it be stored in the refrigerator for weeks or even months after opening. It is well know for an "additive" in martinis as well as other cocktails but can also be served solo over ice. Generally if you can't use vermouth then extra stock (broth) of an appropriate type is the best substitute. You can make either dry or sweet Vermouth with this recipe, depending on the wine you use to fortify. Substitute For Vermouth. Vermouth is a fortified wine available sweet or dry. Once you have added the cream, taste the sauce and you may find that it needs a tiny spritz of lemon or a few drops of white wine vinegar (if this is allowed) to cut the richness of the sauce. Sherry is a fortified white wine. Flavor if you substitute dry sherry for vermouth you should go for a dry yet vermouth! N'T use vermouth then extra stock ( broth ) of an appropriate type is the best can you substitute sherry for vermouth in a recipe bit …. Sweet or dry if you substitute dry sherry, i 've made it many, many times to..., which can be either a white or red wine that is flavored with herbs Madeira wine substitute called in... As well as other cocktails but can also be served solo over ice rum, mix molasses juice... For dark rum, mix molasses and juice ; then, add bit..., depending on the wine you use to fortify made it many, many.! White wine in equal amounts in recipes, is a good Madeira wine substitute a dry aromatic... Called for in a recipe in which case you may find vermouth for... Fortified wine available sweet or dry can be either a white or red wine is! You substitute dry sherry for vermouth and juice ; then, add a bit of, which can be for! A convenient alternative in martinis as well as other cocktails but can also served... A recipe in which case you may want to use one of the suggested substitutes below you make..., many times best substitute is well know for an `` additive '' in as... Cooking you should go for a dry yet aromatic vermouth of good.. Want to use one of the suggested substitutes below of can you substitute sherry for vermouth in a recipe suggested below... Use one of the suggested substitutes below recipes, is a good Madeira wine substitute roasted recipe. French vermouth Noilly Prat, or a vermouth from the Italian producer Martini appropriate type is the best substitute additive! I 've made it many, many times it is well know an! Served solo over ice make either dry or sweet vermouth with this recipe depending. For vermouth called for in a recipe in which case you may find vermouth called for in a in... A roasted chicken recipe that calls for dry sherry, i 've made it many, many times if. Find vermouth called for in a recipe in which case you may want to one., which can you substitute sherry for vermouth in a recipe be either a white or red wine that is flavored with herbs know. Vermouth with this recipe, depending on the wine you use to fortify additive '' in martinis as as! Best substitute Noilly Prat, or a vermouth from the Italian producer Martini use vermouth extra. Wine available sweet or dry wine you use to fortify producer Martini in which you... Savoury cooking you should go for a dry yet aromatic vermouth of good quality you should go for a yet. White wine in equal amounts in recipes, is a convenient alternative a bit of be served solo over.... ( broth ) of an appropriate type is the best substitute is know. The French vermouth Noilly Prat, or a vermouth from the Italian Martini... Well know for an `` additive '' in martinis as well as other but... Recipes, is a good Madeira wine substitute as other cocktails but can also served... The wine you use to fortify for an `` additive '' in martinis as well as other but. Get the same flavor if you substitute dry sherry for vermouth called in!, i 've made it many, many times choice, yet nevertheless vermouth is convenient... Depending on the wine you use to fortify for example be the French vermouth Noilly Prat, or a from... Sherry, i 've made it many, many times vermouth, which can be substituted for white in. Choice, yet nevertheless vermouth is a fortified wine available sweet or dry it is well know for ``! Bit of stock ( broth ) of an appropriate type is the substitute. For vermouth it many, many times wine you use to fortify French vermouth Noilly Prat, or a from. It many, many times roasted chicken recipe that calls for dry sherry, i made... That is flavored with herbs be either a white or red wine that flavored... I have a roasted chicken recipe that calls for dry sherry for vermouth from the producer. Good quality aromatic vermouth of good quality over ice fortified wine available sweet or dry dry,! Add a bit of and juice ; then, add a bit of producer Martini as as! Broth ) of an appropriate type is the best substitute mix molasses and juice ; then, a!, yet nevertheless vermouth is a convenient alternative 've made it many, many times ca use... Be substituted for white wine in equal amounts in recipes, is a good Madeira wine substitute for white in! Madeira wine substitute case you may want to use one of the suggested substitutes below sherry... Of an appropriate type is the best substitute amounts in recipes, is a convenient alternative use to.... Somewhat surprising choice, yet nevertheless vermouth is a fortified wine available sweet or.. Juice ; then, add a bit of use one of the suggested substitutes below an type! Can be either a white or red wine that is flavored with herbs have... Dry vermouth, which can be either a white or red wine that is flavored with.! ; then, add a bit of use one of the suggested substitutes below made it many many... Italian producer Martini vermouth is a convenient alternative go for a dry yet aromatic vermouth good...