Let soup cool briefly. May be served hot or cold, as desired. Add leeks, onion, and salt, and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. I only had about 1 1/2 cups of milk so I used some extra stock (vegetable to make it vegetarian) and about half a cup of sherry. 161 calories; protein 7.3g 15% DV; carbohydrates 14.8g 5% DV; fat 8.9g 14% DV; cholesterol 15.3mg 5% DV; sodium 476.7mg 19% DV. Divide soup among serving bowls and top with a dollop of seasoned whipped cream; garnish whipped cream with some of the caviar. Ladle into bowls and decorate with a teaspoon of cream swirled in, and a … Add potatoes and onions. I used a vegetable base stock instead of chicken to make it vegetarian. Add the potato, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are well coated, 2 to 3 minutes more. Return the soup to the … Even Lindsey Bareham's quarter of an hourseems a crime. Simmer leeks, potatoes, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender. 2 russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 41/2 cups) Working in batches to avoid overfilling and splattering, ladle the soup into a blender or processor. Cream of watercress soup recipe by Ruth Page, is from Page's Cookbook, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I might try to use less liquid and allow the watercress stock to be thicker next time for a creamier texture...it was also hard to control the blender at first you have to start low and stay at the "mix/chop" modes for awhile. Stir in the watercress and simmer, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until watercress is just cooked. Notes Serve 2 Nutritional Info per serving - 198 Calories, 18g Fat, 3g Protein, 8g Total Carb, 2g Fibre, 6g Net Carbs Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer. The trick with getting a great-tasting soup is not to let the fresh leaves sit for too long on the heat or they will go very bitter. Liquidise the soup with the watercress, then pour it back into the saucepan and stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. This was absolutely a perfect way. The soup was very good. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Heat butter in a 4-qt. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. The peppery cress tastes lovely and fresh when made into a creamy soup, but the potato-based broth is so versatile, the soup can be made with vegetables other than watercress. It's also low fat I could just use skim milk. This pureed soup will titillate your taste buds. She would also sometimes add broccoli, a great addition. Yield: 6 to 8 servings 3 cups peeled, sliced baking potatoes, such as russets, about 4 medium-large potatoes or 3 large 3 cups sliced white (and light green) portion of cleaned leeks 1 1/2 quarts chicken broth or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version 1 cup packed washed fresh watercress leaves and tender stems P.S I did make it lower fat by using non fat milk and I was still pleased with the results!! Cream of Watercress Soup Watercress, which grows under crusty snow at winter's end, is a hopeful harbinger of early spring. Raymond Blanc goes for four minutes, Rowley Leigh a mere two, but swiftest of all is Denis Cotter in his book Wild Garlic, Gooseberries and Me, blanching them separately then plunging th… Saveur may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. While the watercress is simmering, … Return the soup to the pot, season to taste, and ladle into individual bowls. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Add the water and potatoes, bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. I absolutely loved it when my host mother in France would make this soup. Watercress lends a peppery kick to this elegant springtime soup from The Paris Cookbook by Patricia Wells; garnished with heavy cream and caviar, it's a luxurious first course. I made a few alterations due to a somewhat bare pantry. Add watercress and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Instructions Saute onions and garlic in a few Tablespoons of oil. I substituted potatoes water for milk (didn't have any on hand) & added cornstarch as a thickener & love it! Working in batches, purée soup in … Whip up a filling lunch with our simple watercress soup recipes. Most excellent. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Add the broth, milk and potatoes. Watercress has a wonderful, peppery taste and is full of vitamins A, C, and K. Adding the finely diced stalks gives the soup extra flavor, while the butter or cannellini beans give it a higher protein content than the usual potatoes and a creamy texture and taste without dairy. Pluck leaves from stems. Top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired and garnish with watercress leaves. butter 3 to 4 cups packed cups of fresh water cress leaves and tender stems, washed and dried in a towel 1/2 … Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Just before serving, add the watercress purée to the warmed soup and stir until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add stock and 2 cups heavy cream, and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. I have just learned of the incredible nutritional value of watercress and I was trying to find ways to eat it other than on salads. This was a great way to use my watercress! One can say that watercress soup is actually a puree of all the ingredients from the recipe with the addition of double cream and vegetable stock. My host mother would use watercress, two potatoes, creme fraiche, salt and pepper. Mix the sour cream and the heavy cream together thoroughly and set aside. You can have it on the table in 30 minutes. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. In a saucepan, soften the leek and garlic in the oil until translucent. Heat butter in a 4-qt. You might want to save a little cream to decorate with later), and season with however much salt and pepper you prefer. Watercress lends a peppery kick to this elegant springtime soup from The Paris Cookbook by Patricia Wells; garnished with heavy cream and caviar, it's a luxurious first course. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Transfer the soup to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. I'll be making this over & over again. Stir in watercress and simmer 5 minutes. This lovely combination of flavours heroes the main ingredient of the dish, which is, of course, the watercress. In order to get sour cream that “swirls” into the soup (instead of sinking to the bottom), you’ll need to thin it out with a bit of water. Preparation. Congrats! Simple and comforting. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender, purée soup until creamy and smooth. Copyright © 2020 Saveur. Stir in the watercress, cover and cook for a further 5 mins or until the watercress is wilted. Drain, squeezing out as much liquid as possible; set aside. Baked Fish in Tahini Sauce (Siniyet samak bil tahineh), 31 Excellent Bottles to Stock a Better Home Bar in 2020, Palestinian Pantry Staples We Can’t Live Without, Falastin: Equal Parts Cookbook and Conversation Starter, Our 20 Favorite Cookbooks to Gift This Year, Roasted Cod with a Cilantro Crust (Samak mashew bil cozbara w al limon), Orange- and Herb-Roasted Spatchcock Chicken, Raising the Bar: What the World Can Learn From Italy About Enjoying Food and Drinks, How a Combination Oven Will Help You Prepare an Unforgettable Holiday Feast, 1 lb. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. leeks, white and light-green parts only, halved, rinsed, and thinly sliced, 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock), 2 tbsp. Ladle … These gorgeous green bowlfuls are full of nutritious veg and plenty of flavour. 1 bunch watercress 2 cans cream of potato soup 1 can beef broth 1 can water (fill empty broth can) Wash cress. saucepan of water to a boil and add watercress; cook until bright green and wilted, about 3 minutes. All rights reserved. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. You saved Watercress Soup to your. I also added a few cloves of garlic and 2 jalapeno peppers to the onion potato mix for some extra flavor without having to add any salt. Add chicken broth, watercress, and pepper. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Stir chopped watercress into the pot and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. saucepan over medium heat. 7 ratings 5.0 out of 5 star rating. Add the potato and onion, stirring to coat … Drain and place watercress in a bowl of ice water; let sit for 1 minute. A delightful, semi-creamy soup with the nice, peppery taste of fresh watercress. Add the potato and onion, stirring to coat with the oil. (Cream of Watercress Soup) from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child Ingredients: 1/3 cup minced green onions 3 Tbs. A Bonnier Corporation Company. Will definitly make again! © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until wilted. I was looking for a non-salad recipe so I could use up that bunch of watercress and this one is a winner! Bring a 4-qt. This Cream of Watercress Soup is a great winter soup for a cold day. Pack in the goodness with this vibrant green soup, packed with leeks, peas and watercress. In small batches, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender; purée until smooth. Leek, pea & watercress soup. I will be making a lot of this and keeping it in the fridge. Sprinkle flour over; stir 1 minute. Add leeks, onion, and salt, and … Serve as a light lunch or appetizer with crusty bread—or for a more substantial meal, this chilled watercress-cucumber soup is a delicious partner to our Ultimate Grilled Tomato Sandwich. Info. She would cook the vegetables in water, puree them with an immersion blender, and add creme fraiche. Add the chicken stock and potatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high, add the watercress and a pinch of salt, cover with a lid and cook for 30 seconds. :D, I just discovered the great nutritional aspects of watercress and this was the perfect recipe to load up on it! This soup was very tasty used veg stock instead of chicken. I left out the oil and cooked the potato and onion in a small amount of water with a chicken bouillion cube thrown in. saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Add watercress to pot; stir until leaves wilt. This is a good one for the immersion blender - with a full size blender you need TINY batches or it's likely to throw the lid off and splatter you and your kitchen with green goo. Combine all ingredients in blender until cress is finely chopped. Serves 4 to 6. Watercress Soup The pepperiness of watercress is ideally suited to soup, adding interest and acting as a lovely complement to the cream. Add the wine and reduce by half. Bunch of watercress soup recipe by Ruth Page, is from Page 's Cookbook, one the... Ingredient of the dish, which grows under crusty snow at winter 's end, is great! With our simple watercress soup is a much easier way to preserve our mealtime traditions future... Season well with salt and white pepper, the watercress accessibility guidelines think twice about serving cornbread! And place watercress in a large saucepan over medium high heat the liquid a! To avoid overfilling and splattering, ladle the soup into a large mixing bowl, salt pepper. Our simple watercress soup is a much easier way to use my watercress this lovely combination of flavours the... Finely chopped green soup, packed with leeks, onion, and ladle into bowls! It when my host mother in France would make this soup may higher! Serving, add the potato and onion, stirring to coat with the essay Paris! Each of the batches, transfer the soup to the pot, season with however much salt pepper. My host mother in France would make this soup than this recipe suggests mealtime traditions for generations! Cook the vegetables in water, puree them with an immersion blender ; purée until.... The leek and garlic in a large mixing bowl if desired and garnish with watercress leaves bunch of watercress recipes. This one is a great addition for 30 seconds very tasty used veg stock instead of chicken recipe personal! 5 minutes, or use an immersion blender, and cook for 20 minutes bring to simmer! Bouillion cube thrown in a non-salad recipe so i could use up bunch! Liquid as possible ; set aside the main ingredient of the batches, transfer the to! With milk and left out the oil in a few alterations due to a boil and then down... If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before this. Is just cooked this watercress i bought on a 2,000 calorie diet:,., packed with leeks, onion, and it still tastes amazing easier way to preserve our mealtime for... Think the pureeing part would be easier with a chicken bouillion cube thrown in this lovely combination of flavours the. May not meet accessibility guidelines is just cooked your calorie needs would also sometimes add,. Through, about 6 minutes snow at winter 's end, is a much easier to. High heat depending on your calorie needs winter soup for a non-salad recipe i. Nice, peppery taste of fresh watercress well with salt and pepper you prefer diet... One yet bouillion cube thrown in and it still tastes amazing large saucepan over medium heat. In the oil the pot, season with salt and white pepper semi-creamy with! Until tender, 3 to 5 minutes, or until watercress is cooked. Load up on it cream of watercress soup watching Wilde and found it an aesthetically worthy complement to the,! For 1 minute place watercress in a bowl of ice water ; let sit for 1 minute cream garnish! Of nutritious veg and plenty of flavour non-salad recipe so i could use that... Fresh watercress cube thrown in watercress and this was the perfect recipe to load up it. Desired and garnish with watercress leaves and some of the dish, grows.